There are three keywords to bear in mind when taking to the roads Mirror– Signal – Manoeuvre or MSM. But how often do we apply this in life?
- How do you use your mirrors frequently so that you always know what is behind and to each side of you – do you ever check?
- Do you use your mirrors in good time before you signal or change direction or speed?
- How do you make sure you are prepared for when you’re mirror’s not being able to cover all areas
- Do you look for blind spots? Do you ever look round and check?
- Are you prepared for other traffic, other road users?
- Should be applied to the direction you intend on taking, signals depend on what you see in your mirrors – do you do this?
- Signaling too late may not provide other road users behind you with enough time to react, for example; if you are intending on slowing or stopping the car – how do you communicate this?
- Signaling too early can give the impression you are taking a turn sooner than the actual turn you intend
- The maneuver part of MSM can be many things from roundabouts, junctions, changing lanes or parking up.
- You should always be prepared to alter your route depending on circumstances – do you have a backup plan?
- If driving in an area with potential hazards, pedestrians, or cyclists for example, you may need to check the mirrors and blind spot once again before committing to the manoeuvre. – do you ever do this?
- Are you prepared to alter your speed or destination even at the very last moment?
- Are you aware of Cyclists, pedestrians and other vehicles which can be unpredictable?
We have all experianced our own journey, for me i have
- Felt like at times I was a passenger?
- Had times, out of fear I preferred to walk to my destination?
- I had a particular destination in mind, but couldn’t seem to find it?
- I found my destination and it wasn’t what I thought it would look like?
- Some of my journeys have taken me down some down dead-end roads.
- I have had to figure out or how many three-point turn’s, or twenty? Are required to turn my car around and start again?
- I have hit many roundabouts, going around and around not sure which exit to take?
- I’ve gone down streets only to find that they are one way?
- I didn’t have a map or the resources to get me to my destination
- I was once disqualified, unfit to drive (because of my mental health)
#Havingawordwimesen is as much about
Having a safe space to park up and explore my journey to date, reflect on the miles I have traveled, Explore, or share some of the missed turnings or wrong turnings, but more importantly – LEARN from them.
When was the last time you refreshed your Highway Code?
Remember, if you would like to subscribe to more post, please go to https://www.shithappens.me.uk/contact/ and sign up, If you liked the post please share, if you didn’t, then do nothing and that’s ok too, Love Fordy x